Welcome to Kimberley Primary & Nursery School - where creativity, diversity and possibilities are at the heart of our curriculum.

Kimberley Primary School

If you need to complain

If you are concerned about any aspect of your child's learning or general welfare, please let us know and we will do what we can to help. As a guide, where possible, we would urge you to speak to the class teacher or teaching assistant first. It is the teaching staff who have the most regular contact with your child and should be in the best position to resolve any difficulties.


We would prefer to talk about any little problems before they become big ones. We cannot promise to keep everybody happy all of the time, but by working together and helping each other we can provide the very best education for your children while they are with us.


If, having spoken to your child's teacher, you do not feel that the matter has been resolved, you can raise your concerns directly with the Head Teacher.  If you leave your details with the school office, or send an email, outlining your concerns, the Head Teacher will contact you as soon as she is able.


If you are unhappy with the way in which your concerns are dealt with, you can make a complaint. 


It is important to make the distinction between a concern and a complaint. At initial stages a concern may be dealt with informally before it is necessary for the more formal complaints process to begin.


Most parents have positive relationships with school and things can be resolved by talking with the staff concerned, but sometimes things can go wrong. When this happens we have a policy which guides our best practise.


Members of the Governing Body become involved when formal complaints are made and their investigation will focus on how the complaint was handled by the school and whether the correct policies and procedures were followed.


We have a complaints procedure which sets out how we deal with complaints informally and how the formal stage of the proceedings can be invoked.  This procedure is in line with the latest guidance from the Department for Education.  You can download a copy of the latest procedure, together with a copy of the complaint form by accessing the link below and downloading the Complaints Policy:

Further information about complaints against schools can be found on the Nottinghamshire County Council website.